Did you know that laser dentistry is a minimally-invasive option for many dental procedures, including gum reshaping, cavity detection, and more? Laser dentistry in Calgary involves the use of extremely focused light beams to alter soft or hard tissues. At Stoney Trail Dental, laser dentistry falls into our additional services that can also be combined with other dental work such as preventive and cosmetic dentistry.
Keep reading to learn more about what laser dentistry can accomplish and some of its benefits!
What Laser Dentistry Can Do
This form of dentistry falls into 3 categories: soft tissue, hard tissue, and other laser treatments.
Soft tissue laser treatments include:
- Gum reshaping for patients whose gums cover a large portion of their teeth, also known as “gummy smiles”.
- Tongue frenectomy, a procedure that removes the fold of skin under the tongue called the frenulum. This is also known as a tongue tie and can improve speech amongst adults.
- Crown lengthening for patients who need to remove excess gum tissue and sometimes bone around the upper teeth. This can help restore teeth and improve oral health.
Hard tissue laser treatments include:
- Preparing teeth for treatment.
- Early cavity detection as the focused laser beam allows dentists to find tooth decay.
- Sealing the tubules in the tooth’s root, which cures teeth sensitivity to hot or cold items.
Other laser treatments include:
- Suture-free method to remove benign tumours.
- Reshaping the throat to relieve breathing problems, improving obstructive sleep apnea.
- Reducing the pain and inflammation associated with TMJ.
- Nerve regeneration of damaged blood vessels, nerves, and scars.
- Treating cold sores quicker and reducing pain.
- Speeding up the teeth whitening process.
The Benefits of Laser Dentistry
One of the biggest advantages of laser dentistry and why more patients are choosing this innovative route is that it’s more gentle than traditional methods. It can feel less intrusive without the use of drills and needles.
Take a look at some of the benefits that laser dentistry in Calgary offers:
- Less damage to surrounding tissues.
- Better control of bleeding, minimizing the chances of stitches.
- Quicker healing time because surrounding tissues suffer less damage.
- Less chance of infection, as the light beams sterilize the site.
- A more comfortable experience for patients who have dental anxiety.
Is Laser Dentistry Right For You?
To find out whether you are a candidate for laser dentistry, give us a call at Stoney Trail Dental and we will book you in for a consultation!